Wild animals never kill for sport. Man is the only one to whom the torture and death of his fellow creatures is amusing in itself.-- James A. Froude (1818-1894)

Saturday, February 14, 2009

Raisins are poisonous to dogs! Onions, chocolate, cocoa & macadamia nuts too..

This is a very sad case - great dog, great owners who had no idea raisins could be a toxin. Please alert everyone you know who has a dog of this very serious risk of KIDNEY FAILURE. Poison control said as few as 7 raisins or grapes could be toxic. Many people I know give their dogs grapes or raisins as treats including our ex-handler's. Any exposure should give rise to immediate concern. Onions, chocolate, cocoa and macadamia nuts can be fatal, too.

If you have a dog ... PLEASE read this and send it on. If you don't have a dog, please pass along to friends who do. Written by: Laurinda Morris, DVMDanville Veterinary Clinic Danville , OH

"This week I had the first case in history of raisin toxicity ever seen at MedVet. My patient was a 56-pound, 5 yr old male neutered lab mix that ate half a canister of raisins sometime between 7:30 AM and 4:30 PM on Tuesday. He Started with vomiting, diarrhea and shaking about 1AM on Wednesday but the owner didn't call my emergency service until 7AM.

I had heard somewhere about raisins AND Grapes causing acute Renal failure but hadn't seen any formal paper on the subject. We had her bring the dog in immediately. In the Meantime, I called the ER service at MedVet, And the doctor there was like me - had heard something about it, but ... Anyway, we contacted the ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center and they said to give IV fluids At 1 & 1/2 times maintenance and watch the Kidney values for the next 48-72 hours.

The dog's BUN (blood urea nitrogen level) was already at 32 (normal less than 27) and Creatinine over 5 (1.9 is the high end of normal). Both are monitors of kidney function in the Bloodstream.

We placed an IV catheter and started the fluids. Rechecked the renal values At 5 PM and the BUN was over 40 and creatinine Over 7 with no urine production after a liter of fluids. At the point I felt the dog was in acute renal failure and sent him on to MedVet for a urinary catheter to monitor urine output overnight as well as overnight care. He started vomiting again overnight at MedVet and his renal values have continued to increase daily. He produced urine when given lasix as a diuretic. He was on 3 different anti-vomiting medications and they still couldn't control his vomiting.

Today his urine output decreased again, his BUN was over 120, his creatinine was at 10, his phosphorus was very elevated and his Blood pressure, which had been staying around 150, skyrocketed to 220 ... He continued to vomit and the owners elected to euthanize." :(

Even if you don't have a dog, you might have friends who do. This is worth passing on to them. Confirmation from Snopes about the above .. http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/raisins.asp

My note: I chanced upon this on one of Facebook's group PAWS (not related to our PAWS Animal Welfare Society) and I thought since today is VALENTINE'S DAY .. many of us may want to shower our love for our 4-legged friends, IGNORANCE can be detrimental to these animals.

It may be cute to have dogs wear human style clothes, seat at the table with us, carry them around like babies, spray your favourite perfume on them, etc,etc .... but THEY are NOT HUMAN.... Yes, they have intelligence, a kind heart & seem to understand what you say to them (un-like some humans I know) but BIOLOGICALLY THEY ARE DIFFERENT!

So, beware how you treat your pets OR ELSE you are actually abusing them!!!

No comments:


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...