Wild animals never kill for sport. Man is the only one to whom the torture and death of his fellow creatures is amusing in itself.-- James A. Froude (1818-1894)

Thursday, June 4, 2009

Pulau Ketam - Rescue mission.. The Good Malaysians

I haven't been reading the papers lately, so when I finally got a copy of the Star, I read about Kuning, the dog who helped rescue the unfortunate dogs.

Once again, this is prove that dogs are man's (and now dog's) best friend. I read that since Kuning's disappearance "the rescue mission had grounded to a halt as no dog could be rescued without its intervention. Kuning helped rescuers by swimming to Pulau Selat Kering and herding the dogs into cages and traps set by the rescue teams." http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2009/6/2/nation/4025893&sec=nation

That lead to other stories in the Star which I hope they do not mind I me posting it on my blog. They say it so well.
These stories restored my & many other people's faith in HUMANS, specifically Malaysians. There's been too many HORROR stories & general APATHY. We Malaysians are not like that. Unfortunately, the BAD Malaysians are the ones getting the publicity. Everyone loves to hate someone, hear a scandal...etc...

The Star Online > Lifefocus Saturday May 30, 2009

RESCUE TEAM

Not all Malaysians are uncaring. In fact, some go to great lengths to make personal sacrifices for a good cause.


Pamela Lim Cheng Yoke,
professional diving instructor

“I was editor-in-chief of a new magazine in Malaysia when I heard the story of the Pulau Ketam dogs. I volunteered to help Furry Friends Farm (FFF) on their rescue mission. At first, I couldn’t do much except create awareness through Facebook. In my free time, I would join the rescue team at Pulau Selat Kering.

“As director of rescue operations for FFF, I am often in the thick of the rescue, on the island, in the sea and camping on the nearby kelong.

“The kelong owner and their workers are so kind. They allow us the use of their premises. The workers help by going out with us on their motorboats to rescue dogs and top up feeding stations.

“Despite having their own work to do, these people find the time to help us but their own dog, Kuning, has gone missing. I believe he might have been accidentally retrieved by other groups launching their own rescue missions because Kuning often swims over to Pulau Selat Kering.”

Cheng has posted a photo of Kuning on her blog http://pitch.pummkin.net/ (Oops!the link seems broken for the moment) appealing to whoever took him to please return Kuning as the workers have been so demoralised since his disappearance. Updates on the rescue can also be read here.


Donald G. H. Tan,
retired businessman
“My wife and I help take the rescued dogs back to our house in Klang for a night of rest and recuperation. The next morning, we take them to the veterinary clinic. Then, I co-ordinate with other volunteers to transport them to Furry Friends Farm in Kundang.

“I will never forget the day at Pulau Selat Kering when I noticed a mixed Shih Tzu and Maltese dog looking forlornly at us. She reminded me of my own girl, Xiao Mei.

“I tried so hard to save her because I knew a toy breed like that would never survive the harsh conditions of the island. They would never be fast or strong enough to get to the food first and their long hair is a disadvantage. Alas, she was too afraid and I failed. I cried for days.
“When I see the vets removing flesh-eating maggots from the dogs, I get so angry. It is painful for the dogs, but imagine if we didn’t get to them . . . they would’ve been eaten alive by these maggots, if not cannibalised by the stronger dogs.”

o Tan’s updates on the rescue can be read at http://birdstalkingtoo.blogspot.com/


Adrian Kuah, project executive,
National Kidney Foundation

“I started a forum on Lowyat.net in early May to create awareness. I was amazed when cages, boots, dog food, free boat rental and other offers flooded in.

“I was surprised to receive 1,000 hits in just two days. The public’s kindness touched me deeply and made me all the more determined to rescue the dogs.

“Four college students also joined me, and as a team, we went to the islands to see what we could do. We wanted to see for ourselves which organisation was really doing the work as there are confusing reports of several different parties asking for donations.

“We volunteered our services to FFF and will donate the items people have given us to them.’’
o Visit Kuah’s forum at http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/1023541


Shyam Priah,
group marketing and promotions

executive for an on-line publication
“Soon after I organised Sampah Masyarakat last Wesak Day, I heard about the Pulau Ketam dogs and was appalled at how low humans could stoop.

“Sampah Masyarakat was organised to encourage the Malaysian public to care for the environment and weed out this culture of littering.

“Now I’m determined to organise a fund-raising event for Furry Friends Farm (FFF) to support the rescue, recuperation and re-homing of the Pulau Ketam dogs. Cruelty to animals will only result in creating a cold-hearted, apathetic society.

“This fund-raising event will be held sometime at the end of June and will have a carnival-like atmosphere with a charity car wash, jumble sale, cat and dog adoption drive, food sale, workshops and other exciting activities.

“I hope the public will support this cause as it will be in aid of the rescued dogs of Pulau Ketam.”
o To learn more about this event go to http://www.salammanis.blogspot.com/



Women team up to save abandoned dogs on island
By WANI MUTHIAH
PORT KLANG: Two whitewater rafters’ love and compassion for dogs have prompted them to team up to rescue the abandoned animals in Pulau Selat Kering near here.


Marjorie Gabriel and Karin Lee, who are based in Kuala Kubu Baru, have so far made six trips to the desolate island. “We had to do something, as both of us couldn’t bear to imagine the dogs suffering without food and water on the uninhabited island,” said Lee, who is also a Hulu Selangor district councillor. The duo even brought along a canoe to replenish the food and water on the several pontoons they had constructed around the island for the abandoned dogs.

Both women are volunteering their services with the Furry Friends Farm (FFF) rescue team.

...Gabriel said it was getting more difficult to rescue the dogs as they seemed to have retreated further into the mangrove-covered island.
http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2009/6/1/nation/3993807&sec=nation

1 comment:

Sharan Aulakh said...

Wild animals never kill for sport. Man is the only one to whom the torture and death of his fellow creatures is amusing in itself.

florida home rescue mission

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...